BOARD COUNTERSETT

  1840 THOMAS METCALFE NEW INN. Whites Directory. (Listed under Raydaleside Inc. Counterside and Marside) 1841 & 1851 CENSUSES NO MENTION OF PUB OR INNKEEPERS (There is a Thomas Metcalfe in Countersett in both 1841 and 1851 but listed as a blacksmith. He could have done both) 7 APR 1861 CENSUS PETER BERESFORD INNKEEPER PUB […]

read more

ROSE & CROWN BAINBRIDGE

1823 JAMES BANKS Baines Directory. 1834 DOROTHY BANKS Pigots Directory 1840 JOHN HESELTINE Whites Directory 1841 JOHN HESELTINE Pigots Directory 6 JUN 1841 CENSUS HESELTINE John/25/Innkeeper/Yks HESELTINE Margaret/25/Yks HESELTINE Thomas/6/Yks HESELTINE Margaret/2/Yks HESELTINE John/10m/Yks PICKERING Ann/15/serv/Yks 30 MAR 1851 CENSUS 46. HESELTINE John/Head/M/72/Innkeeper/Yks/West Burton HESELTINE Peggy/wife/M/67/Yks/Askrigg 7 APR 1861 CENSUS Unnamed pub. Chapman Kilburn M […]

read more

CROWN INN ASKRIGG

A picture of the Crown Inn, Askrigg

Originally named after a racehorse owned by John Pratt who owned stables in Askrigg. The Crown was renamed the Hare & Hounds then the Blacksmiths Arms after a blacksmith’s shop built behind the pub but by 1854 it was renamed the again as the Crown Inn. Their current website can be visited here: The Crown Inn, […]

read more